The Freedman Music Fellowships are among the most prestigious offered to Australian musicians. They are awarded annually to a classical music instrumentalist and a jazz musician.
The Freedman Fellowships for 2017 will be awarded on October 30 at the Sydney Opera House for the Jazz Fellowship. The winner of the Freedman Classical Fellowship for 2017 was bassoonist Matthew Kneale.
ABOUT THE FREEDMAN MUSIC FELLOWSHIPS
The Freedman Fellowships are not for students or emerging artists. The maximum age of candidates is 35 years for jazz and 30 years for classical and they are for artists who are already very well established and at the top of the profession. The Fellowships are intended to assist them in taking their next important career steps.
Artists cannot self-nominate. Distinguished musicians from each Australian state and territory are invited to nominate candidates and the maximum number of candidates for either Fellowship is 17. To be nominated is already an honour.
Candidates apply with a sound recording and a description of a career-advancing project they would undertake with the award funds. Finalists are chosen, interviewed and auditioned by panels of three judges, again drawn from the upper ranks of the profession. The jazz audition takes the form of a concert, Freedman Jazz, held at the Studio of the Sydney Opera house.
The Fellowships are funded by the Freedman Foundation and were conceived by Laurence Freedman and Richard Letts. The first Fellowships were awarded in 2001 and until 2013 have been managed by the Music Council of Australia. In 2014, management passed to The Music Trust and administration to SIMA (Sydney Improvised Music Association).
Previous Freedman Fellowship News
- ANNOUNCEMENT: Finalists for the 2017 Freedman Classical Fellowships
- Nominees for the 2017 Freedman Classical Fellowship
- ANNOUNCEMENT: Winner of the 2016 Freedman Classical Fellowship
- Finalists for the Classical Fellowship 2016
- Finalists of the 2016 Freedman Jazz Fellowship
- Review of Freedman Jazz 2016, by John Clare
- ANNOUNCEMENT: Winner of the 2015 Freedman Classical Fellowship
- Finalists for the Classical Fellowship 2015
- Winner of the 2015 Freedman Jazz Fellowship
- Review of Freedman Jazz 2015, by John Clare
- Nominees for the Classical Fellowship 2015
- Nominees for the Jazz Fellowship 2015
- Announcement of the Freedman Classical Fellow for 2014
- Announcement of the Freedman Jazz Fellow for 2014
- Freedman Classical Fellowship Finalists 2014
- Freedman Jazz Fellowship Finalists 2014
- Nominees for the Classical Fellowship 2014
- Nominees for the Jazz Fellowship 2014